The Embassy of the Czech Republic invites you to join the first annual Czech Embassy Bike Challenge. Cycle 19.18 kilometers to mark Czech Independence Day, which was established in the year 1918, and explore other great points of interest associated with the Czech Republic and its history around Washington, DC.
The Challenge is open to everyone, young or old and full of sportsmanship or thirst to learn, during the race period between September 28 – October 28, 2020.
DATES: September 28 – October 28, 2020
Start: Chesapeake and Ohio Canal Towpath (gravel trail) in Georgetown under the Key Bridge (map: https://bit.ly/3ksXG21)
Finish: Mile 13 Marker at the Great Falls on Chesapeake and Ohio Canal Towpath – before Lock 15 (map: https://bit.ly/33ErnGS)
Map of the entire 19.18 km (~12m) track from Georgetown to the Great Falls: https://bit.ly/33DTrdn
RULES AND REQUIREMENTS:
The Czech Embassy Bike Challenge is open to everyone! Cycle responsibly and compete with others at the same time, thanks to a joint leaderboard! Follow 3 steps to take part in the challenge:
1) Register at https://czechembassybikechallenge.eventbrite.com
● Download the Strava tracking app to your smartphone.
● Create a profile on the Strava app and ask to join “Czech Embassy Bike Challenge 19.18” club on Strava app.
● Anytime between September 28 and October 28, cycle the 19.18 km long track from Georgetown to Great Falls with the Strava app on (“record activity” mode). Record the entire ride. Start recording anywhere before the starting point and continue recording through and after the finish to ensure that your ride will be uploaded and tracked. Only the relevant part of the track will be recorded and uploaded into the final leaderboard.
● Feel free to cycle the track multiple times! Only the best time will be counted. The track must be cycled in the direction from start to finish. If one de-routes from the track, the results might not be recorded. Electric bikes are prohibited.
3) Learn through play
Celebrate two important dates in Czech history! The Challenge begins on St. Wenceslas Day, a Czech holiday celebrating the Czech patron Saint of Czech statehood and beer, on September 28 and ends on Czech Independence Day on October 28. Learn about sights connected to the Czech Republic or its history in Washington, DC. Share a picture or video of you and your bike with the “Czech Point“ of your choice during the “race period” from September 28 – October 28 on the Czech Embassy's social media.
Czech Point tips:
▪ The statue of President Tomáš Garrigue Masaryk
(Map - https://bit.ly/3mBhB0D)
▪ Václav Havel´s Place
(Map - https://bit.ly/3mBbPvW)
▪ The Embassy of the Czech Republic
(Map - https://bit.ly/2RAK5cG)
▪ The U. S. Capitol – place of President Václav Havel´s legendary speech in 1990 (Map - https://bit.ly/32HDBzb)
▪ Capital One Arena – home stadium of three NHL stars from the Czech Republic (Map - https://bit.ly/3cbX4ek)
▪ Wilson Center – home of the famous think-tank that celebrates the legacy of President Woodrow Wilson
(Map - https://bit.ly/32I63Rx)
▪ “Your choice” – Be creative and find another place reminding you of the Czech Republic! Take a picture with your bike or cycling jersey there.
▪ Share the picture on this FB event page or on Instagram @czechembassydc and use the hashtag #CzechBikeChallenge (NOTE: you MUST tag the Czech Embassy´s Instagram/FB handles as well as use the hashtag #CzechBikeChallenge). The Czech Embassy greatly appreciates the upload of at least one picture from each participant during the race period.
Learn more about the event on the website of the Embassy of the Czech Republic