EU Rendez-Vous on the Occasion of the World and Europe Day against the Death Penalty
Please join the Delegation of the European Union (EU) to the U.S., the European diplomatic community, U.S. civil society organizations and other advocates of the abolition on the occasion of the World and Europe Day against the Death Penalty.
Tuesday, October 10, 2017
6:00pm - 8:00pm
Remarks and interactive session followed by a reception
EU Delegation to the U.S.
2175 K Street NW (entrance on 22nd Street)
Washington, D.C. 20037
As public opinion across the U.S. increasingly turns against the death penalty and various state governments are considering to join the 19 non-death penalty states, the coming years present a critical phase for advocates of the abolition movement.
The EU is hopeful that the downward trend in executions in the U.S. will continue until the complete abolition of capital punishment in the U.S. The EU will keep advocating strongly against the death penalty until then, in friendship and respect.
Join us on the occasion of the World and Europe Day against the Death Penalty to assess current trends and efforts to repeal capital punishment in the U.S. You will get a chance to engage with several stakeholders who act to accelerate the course of history.
Welcome remarks by:
- HE David O'Sullivan, Ambassador of the European Union to the United States
- Bat-Ochir Bold, Chargé d'Affaires, Embassy of Mongolia to the United States
Keynote address by Congressman Henry C. “Hank” Johnson (Georgia)
Followed by a Town Hall discussion with:
- Robert Dunham, Executive Director, Death Penalty Information Center (moderator)
- Henderson Hill, Executive Director, 8th Amendment Project
- Misty Thomas, Director, Death Penalty Due Process Review Project, American Bar Association
- Marl Maher, Fellow, Reprieve
- Magdaleno Rose-Avila, Executive Director, Witness to Innocence
Engage with us on Twitter using @EUintheUS #AbolishDP #EURendezVous