Forests are essential in the fight against climate change and biodiversity loss. They also protect populations from floods and land erosion, regulate water cycles and protect habitats for endangered species, as well as provide for livelihoods if sustainably managed.
Unfortunately, intense drought and heat caused by climate change are creating the ideal conditions for forest fires. More intense and more frequent fires are destroying ecological habitats and expelling significant amounts of greenhouse gases into the atmosphere.
Clearly, the adoption of smart policies aimed at preventing forest fires are crucial to combating climate change, as megafires become extremely difficult and dangerous to control once they are active. The European Union Forest Strategy for 2030 sets a vision and concrete actions for increasing the quantity and quality of forests in the EU, including through the planting of at least 3 billion additional trees by 2030, and strengthening their protection, restoration, and resilience.
On Friday, November 19, join the European Union, Western Environmental Law Center and The Nature Conservancy to discuss best practices on forest management, including forest governance and enforcement aspects that can reverse the trend of more menacing and devastating forest fires.
As part of the Films Across Borders showcase, all attendees will receive complimentary access to view Fire Will Come (2019), a Spanish rural drama that follows Amado as he returns to his native mountain town, which soon after is threatened by a forest fire. View the film trailer here
• H.E. Stavros Lambrinidis, Ambassador of the European Union to the United States
• Stephanie Shepherd, Co-founder of Future Earth
• Susan Jane Brown, Senior Attorney, Wildlands and Wildlife Director, Western Environmental Law Center
• Cecilia Clavet, Senior Policy Advisor, Forest Restoration & Fire, The Nature Conservancy
• José Manuel Moreno, Professor, Universidad de Castilla-La Mancha (Spain)
• Manuel Carmona Yebra, Counsellor for Environment and Oceans, Delegation of the European Union to the United States