The International Republican Institute,
the EU Delegation to the United States
and Microsoft invite you to
The Changing Global Order in a Post-Pandemic World
A Virtual Event
Wednesday, August 26, 11 AM - 1 PM ET | 5 PM - 7 PM CET
This year, on the virtual sidelines of the Republican National Convention, the EU Delegation to the United States, the International Republican Institute and Microsoft joined forces to look at how the pandemic may shape the world to come in two dynamic, high-level virtual discussions:
- Technology is reshaping the way we live our lives and reconfiguring the global balance of power, a trend accelerated by the current era of unprecedented health, environmental, and economic challenges. These trends have profound implications for the global community, the international economy, and the transatlantic trade and investment relationship. What must business leaders and policymakers do to navigate the tech revolution and ensure that democracy and the open market economy prevail in the 21st century? The first panel, Shared Digital Futures in the Post-COVID Era, discussed how the United States and the European Union can respond to these common challenges.
- What role does the transatlantic relationship have in sustaining the global order, and how can it be kept fit for purpose in the 21st century? The second panel, Democratic Alliances in a Post-COVID World: How Can the EU and U.S. Work Smarter to Preserve the Liberal World Order?, reviewed the state of the transatlantic relationship and prospects for EU-U.S. relations under the next U.S. Administration and Congress. Topics included global and transatlantic challenges such as COVID-19 response, climate change, AI/digital, trade, investment and economic recovery, security and defense, promoting democracy and human rights, and joint approaches to China and Russia.
11 AM (ET)
Opening remarks by Stavros Lambrinidis, Ambassador of the EU to the U.S., and Dan Twining, President of the International Republican Institute
Panel 1: Shared Digital Futures in the Post-COVID Era
- Phil Hogan, European Union Trade Commissioner
- Brad Smith, President of Microsoft
- Kelly Ayotte, Former U.S. Senator
- Nancy McLernon, President and CEO of Global Business Alliance (Panel moderator)
12 PM (ET)
Welcome remarks by Dan Sullivan, U.S. Senator and IRI Board Chair
Panel 2: Democratic Alliances in a Post-COVID World: How Can the EU and U.S. Work Smarter to Preserve the Liberal World Order?
- Mairéad McGuinness, First Vice President of European Parliament
- Stavros Lambrinidis, Ambassador of the EU to the U.S.
- Joe Wilson, Member, U.S. House of Representatives
- John Shimkus, Member, U.S. House of Representatives
- Paula J. Dobriansky, Senior Fellow, Harvard University and former U.S. Under Secretary of State for Global Affairs
- Jan Surotchak, Senior Director, Transatlantic Strategy, International Republican Institute (Panel moderator)
- Special appearance by Ron Johnson, U.S. Senator
Concluding remarks by Stavros Lambrinidis, Ambassador of the EU to the U.S.
This event was organized in cooperation with: